Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Moment in the Life...

                    Lately (if you couldn't tell), life has just been plain busy! One of the bakers left unexpectedly at the donut shop, we are starting our summer hours there (phew), I found out one of our customers (a wise veteran) plays handball, I decided to start donating plasma, I received the computer my dad had purchased in order to learn AutoCAD for his business, and I took a barre class. Oh, and we have been blessed with snow, snow and more snow! It’s currently coming down in chunks and they’re calling for at least six inches overnight. Wooohoooo!!!
                     So anyways, the owners of the donut shop and my manager decided that Mondays and Tuesdays just weren't busy enough to be open and that staying open until 6 pm is also a waste of resources (employee pay, electricity, etc.).  We will now be open Wednesday-Friday from 6:30 to 3 and the weekend from 7:30-3.  This may not seem like a big deal, but it’s a huge relief for me. And on top of that, I am finally going to be trained in the kitchen (what I've wanted since I first got hired).  Since we had one of our lead decorators/bakers quit, my boss/head baker along with myself will be filling the empty shifts.  I’ll keep you updated on how things go!
                     Next on my list of super exciting discoveries, is that I found out one of our regular customers, who I see every other day and always have conversations with, plays handball!  For those of you unfamiliar with handball, it is an Irish sport where the players use their hands to hit the ball while in an enclosed (usually) court.  It’s similar to racquetball, but without the racquet.  Needless to say, the gym we just joined has courts for this game and he just re-joined and agreed to meet up and help me with my game (which doesn't exist, because I haven’t played in two years).  None-the-less, I am stoked that I now have someone to play with every so often.  Sadly it’s a dying sport and women players are even closer to extinction, which is why everyone should start playing it! Seriously, go YouTube some matches, because it takes quite a bit of skill but anyone can play (I've seen an 80 year old whoop an 18 year old's butt…seriously).
                     Now after joining a gym this month and making arrangements for a birthday trip that the hubby and I are planning, we are way over our budget.  Not to mention that the hubby’s car decided not to start last week and we will either have to get it towed or have a friend come and take a look at it.  And on top of that we just paid his car insurance which is not cheap. Point being that we got a coupon in the mail saying that you get an added bonus if you become a plasma donor this month.  So I thought, “what the heck” and now I have decided that the money from donations (20 for the first time and 40 for the second in a week) will be my spending money for Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint products, new shoes or even the vintage market this weekend ;).  Yes, I definitely scheduled the two required times per week to be finished before the market on Saturday so that I have spending money.  My priorities are spot on! The best part is that they give you a handy Visa card that acts like a debit card and can be used anywhere (even online) that accepts Visa.
                     Thankfully, the next exciting part of my week did not entail our bank account.  I received the computer that my dad had ordered a couple of weeks ago in order for me to start working for his business.  Kyle was so excited that he wanted to set it up before dinner.  Boys never really grow up do they?!  Well, it’s all set up in our guestroom/craft room/office now and it looks mighty sharp.  I can’t wait to start learning AutoCAD and get an additional paycheck.  I know it shouldn't be about the money, but it is nice that I am able to work for my dad and from home.  I’m hopeful that this will be the perfect situation for us, especially since we don’t know where we will end up in the future and this job is so mobile.
                     Finally I get to tell you about the coolest part of my week (yes, I did just say “coolest”).  The Peak Wellness Center (our new gym) offers many different kinds of classes including the regulars such as Pilates, Yoga, Cycling, etc.  But the one class I had never heard of is called Barre. Now imagine the life of a ballerina and all the training they have to go through and think also about the insane amount of muscle that they have.  This class provided a glimpse of what it might be like to train (from the beginning) to be a ballerina.  The teacher combines yoga, Pilates, and ballet moves to create an intense workout that I did not necessarily sweat from (this wasn't a cardio dance type of class), but instead worked muscles I knew existed, but had never been worked in their lives.  The routine involves lots of pleats and leg lifts and arm exercises and so much more than I could ever describe.  I've always wanted to be a ballerina or at least learn ballet, and now as an adult I can take a class and move towards the regimen that helps sculpt one of those bodies.  Although I may not be learning the choreography aspect of ballet, the workout to attain the muscles necessary is truly a humbling experience. I’ll definitely be attending every week and have already made a calendar event to make it more of a commitment!

                     Well, that’s it kids! Until next time…


P.S. No cheats on the Whole30 thus far and the hubby is counting down the days.  I believe Sunday is the last day, but not for me! I’ve decided to do a Whole60 to continue to reinforce the good habits I have just made.  Here’s to doing things that everyone else thinks are nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment