Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Have you heard of the Whole30?

             We all know the cold hard truth: dieting may cause you to lose weight over time, but as soon as you stop dieting and return to normal patterns, that lost weight somehow finds its way back to your thighs, butt, belly, wherever!  Well, here’s something that some of you may or may not have heard of: the Whole30 plan (not diet). 
             A few months ago, I was visiting my mom and she had borrowed a book called It Starts With Food.  I read a little bit about the plan and why it works, but didn't think twice about doing it. Now back then, I had already been eating relatively healthy (we cut out wheat/grains and dairy mostly).  I do however, work at a donut shop and the temptation is always there; and believe me, I ALWAYS give in.  So I said enough is enough and decided to borrow the book from the library (trying to save money remember) and am about halfway through.  A friend and I decided to just do it.  We all need to stop making excuses about “Oh, I’ll start in a month, because Valentine’s is around the corner and I love my Dove chocolate from my hubby.” Yeah, I know that’s what everyone is thinking, because I am/was!
             So here it is: I am starting the Whole30 healthy eating plan on February 1st (mainly for ease of keeping track of days).  If you are interested, visit the website at whole30.com and join us! There are no additional costs besides purchasing healthy food (veggies, fruits, meat) and no required supplements. So far it’s my mom (yes I put your name here so you can’t change your mind), my donut shop co-worker/buddy, and my hubby. I debated making this post, because I was afraid of failure and not making it to the end, but now I have to make it, because it’s in writing!
            Basically, this plan is to help your body get back to the way it should be before all the processed foods messed with our hormones and regular bodily functions (metabolism, etc.).  I can’t give you the research behind it, but you can definitely check their book out and it explains everything you would ever want/need to know. 
We are all doing this to change our lives, because we have the power!  My mom has a bad ankle from a car wreck, constant migraines, and back/hip pain.  I have PCOS and high levels of testosterone. My friend has issues with the bacteria in her gut (I think it’s called candida) getting out of control.  And my hubby has no choice in the matter, as always (to be fair he was a really poor eater and we have mainly cut all the bad stuff out already, so he is already on a better tract than heart disease and diabetes).
Why am I telling you all this? Because we all suffer from different ailments that this plan claims can all be fixed or minimized by simply changing what we eat.  And the best part is that if you commit whole-heartedly this plan will eliminate cravings for processed sugar, salt, and fat.  Please note that if your and maybe even my diet/body is really poor, then it can take up to 60 days for this reset to work, but again, that’s 60 days of your entire life.  If it’s that easy, then why wouldn't we try it? Okay, who are we kidding? It's going to be tough, and they warn you about that, but if we do it together, it will be easier with a support team behind us. Join us and what could you lose: maybe some weight (although not the main reason to do it), your type 2 Diabetes could decrease, your muscle pain could go away, your sleeping patterns could become normal again… The possibilities are endless and you have the power to change your future health!


Now what will you decide?

No comments:

Post a Comment